Starting and maintaining exercise isn't always easy so motivation is the key to success. These 6 motivational tips and tricks will help you start exercising regularly and keep you on track...
1. Workout with a friend - Not only will it be more fun working out with a friend or two, but you’ll also keep each other accountable. You’ll also find that you’ll push each other a little harder and be naturally competitive so you’ll get more out of the workout.
2. Mix it up - Keep your body guessing with new ways to exercise. If you keep plugging away with an exercise you find boring, you’re bound to give up. Keep trying new things until you find one that you like. The key is to mix it up a bit – in any given week. I’ll do yoga, some weights, dancing, cycling, walking my dog or some HIIT.
3. Get Outdoors - Nothing beats fresh air and sunshine! Studies have shown that exercising outdoors boosts your mood, reduces anger, anxiety and depression plus delivers more post-workout endorphins than indoor training. So get off that treadmill and get the wind in your hair and sun on your face.
4. Eat Right - It’s impossible to be motivated to move if your body isn’t fuelled properly. Make sure you’re getting the right nutrients into you, rather than counting calories. All calories are definitely not created equal. Do some research and educate yourself on what your body needs to be able to perform to the level of training you’re undertaking. If you eat right, you’ll have higher energy levels, lower blood pressure and cholesterol and less body fat. You’ll feel better, fitter, stronger. Which will help you stay positive and motivated to go work out.
5. Rest - Rest days are very important. In fact, rest is necessary for progress, as well as to prevent burn out and loss of motivation. Make sure you take time out to allow your body to recover and your muscles to repair. I have days where I do no training at all, and also a day where I do something gentle and restorative like yoga or stretching and walking only. It makes me keener to get back in to the swing of cardio the next day, with a bouncier spring in my step.
6. Buy a new outfit - And of course, if all else fails, buy some new activewear! Reward yourself for that hard work. Put it on and see what happens. I bet you’ll want to wear it and in turn be more active and you will feel better for it!
Start following these tips and you’ll soon notice that motivation levels are at an all time high. Working out will no longer be a chore, but simply your lifestyle of happy choice.