Mum was coming over so I needed something quick and yummy with a cuppa so I made my go to dark chocolate chip cookies.
When you make at home treats, they will always be better for you and your family with no preservatives, colourings or artificial flavourings and I always try to substitute nasty ingredients for something of a more wholefoods variety. Wholemeal flour and rolled oats add good fibre and the dark chocolate is loaded with anti-oxidants not to mention they taste delicious!
In this recipe you can use vegetable oil if you don't have any coconut oil and you can always substitute rice malt syrup with caster sugar or agave syrup if you prefer. These cookies are super easy to make and ready in 15 minutes and make your house smell absolutely divine! Great for after school snacks or when surprise visitors drop by for a cuppa.
I halved the recipe for today as I only wanted a few monster size cookies as it usually makes between 15-18 smaller cookies depending on the size you make. Look for Lindt 78% dark chocolate which is a higher concentrate dark chocolate that is great for cooking and not bitter like the others too.
2 cups wholemeal plain flour
1/2 cup rolled or quick oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup rice malt syrup or caster sugar (superfine) 120g Lindt 78% dark chocolate coursely chopped
1/2 cup coconut oil melted or vegetable oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven 180 degrees celcius and line a baking tray with baking paper
2. Add flour, oats, baking powder and chocolate to bowl and mix. If you are using caster sugar instead of rice malt syrup, add this too
3. Make a well and add oil, maple syrup, egg and vanilla extract and combine
4. Roll heaped tablespoons full of mixture into balls and place on the baking tray. Flatten slightly and leave room to spread
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Cook longer if you like them crunchy otherwise they will be chewy and crisp only around the edges which is how I like them. Leave to cool.
Serve with a cup of peppermint tea and enjoy!
Lifestylist Health & Fitness